While keeping your immune system optimally functioning should always be a top priority, during these unprecedented times boosting your immune system is now more critical than ever. Your immune system is made up of a network of cells, tissues, and organs that help protect you from infiltrating pathogens and fight off those that manage to enter. Like anything, it functions at its best when you intake vital essential nutrients that help support, balance, and strengthen it. A nutrient that can help you to achieve all of those is the super antioxidant, astaxanthin.
Astaxanthin is an important nutrient found naturally in our diet. It is found mostly in seafood. It is what gives salmon their reddish hue and it is also found in the shells of crab, lobster and shrimp. But since we don’t eat shells, salmon remains the best source of astaxanthin in our diets. In fact, Astaxanthin is 6000X more potent than Vitamin C making it one of the most powerful antioxidants in nature. Astaxanthin shares some similarities with its carotenoid cousins, lutein, lycopene, and beta-carotene,it is by far the most powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory carotenoid of them all!
Research shows that we need 8mg of astaxanthin per day for healthy immune response.
Supplementing with astaxanthin each day can help fill the gap and ensure you are getting the recommended daily amount. Astaxanthin positions itself across the entire cell membrane, protecting the exterior from free radical attack, the interior where the free radicals originate. Certain Antioxidants, like Vitamin C or Vitamin E, can only handle one type of free radical at a time, whereas astaxanthin has several covered simultaneously!
Our immune system is essential for our survival, it protects us from pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, parasites. The most helpful ways to strengthen the immune system and fight off disease include eating a healthy diet high in fruit and vegetables and rich with antioxidants, maintaining a healthy weight, managing stress levels, and exercising regularly. There are certain nutrients, like astaxanthin, which studies suggest can help in promoting immune resilience.
We may not be able to completely prevent an illness, a healthy immune system is one way to give your body extra protection. Focusing on nutrient dense foods and healthy lifestyle can help you and your family stay healthy. Focus on a balanced eating plan, 6-8 hours of sleep and reduce stress. Good hygiene such as washing your hands, helps prevent the spread of germs. Find a healthy way to deal with stress, such as meditation and yoga. Physical activity also is a great way to help with stress and will help build the immune system.
WEL. Secrets to Strengthen Your System
1. Exercise Daily- Regular exercise has been shown to keep your immune system functioning at top levels.
2. Minimize Stress- Many studies have shown those reporting the least amount of stress were also the least likely to get infections.
3. Get enough sleep- This doesn’t only mean getting the right number of hours of sleep, but also quality sleep as well.
4. Drink Less Alcohol- Limiting alcohol consumption may mean a more restful night. Studies have shown that excessive alcohol consumption leads to an increase in respiratory infections and impaired immune responses.
6. Stop Smoking- Putting anything you put in your lungs unnecessarily is going to lead to a higher risk of respiratory infection.
7. Maintain a Healthy Diet- Eating healthy is important. A healthy gut will allow you to fight infections more effectively. Support your immune system by adding foods rich in vitamins and antioxidants like astaxanthin. Astaxanthin is the stronger antioxidant in nature, 6000x more powerful than Vitamin C.
To keep your immune system functioning at its best, eat a balanced diet, exercise, get adequate sleep, and support your immune system's cells with the essential nutrients found in astaxanthin.